This blog will help you out to improve your professional testing ability as a mobile application tester.
Even if you are not a professional tester & working as a developer but you want to make sure the test beta released by you does not come back with bunch of bugs & issues list than you can refer this blog & it will help you out to improve your application testing skills & eventually it will help you out to make bug free & seamless mobile experience.
Usually, this happens when tester reports any bug on application but does not provide required enough information to the developer & as result developers are not been able to detect the bug & that creates a communication gap.
So to overcome this issue here are few points that need to be in consideration while testing iOS Application.
Do always provide crash logs :
- This is the very basic & initial step that every iOS Application tester should follow is while reporting bugs they must provide it with the crash logs.
- In iPhone settings, it automatically stores crash logs of the application. Through that crash logs, a developer can easily detect the lines of code which causes the crash
- To find the crash logs go to Settings -> Privacy -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostics & Usage Data. You will find a list of logs there & the recent log will be on the top sorted by the application name.
- You can retrieve this log file by connecting your device with the computer & sync with iTunes
Do test under limited memory availability on a device :
- To perform such testing you can test on the devices with lowest configurations or you can create such environment by increasing the usage on the device. For that, you can open all of the applications on the device & also use browser of the device & open few tabs with a couple of websites open
- So that will consume the memory of device & that will create an environment for you to better test application on such environment
- This will allow you to check how an application performs on lower memory conditions & in case of low memory availability it gives appropriate messages or throws exceptions
Data inputs testing :
- In application, if you find a form fill up the view that has more chances of bugs, glitches. So try to products the bug on the page
- Try by adding inputs that are out of bound & doesn’t suit that field. That will discover if any validation missed placing
- Try out if keyboard return key works correctly while filling up form & also it scroll correctly & text area scrolls to top exactly over keyboard area while adding input
Test under lower internet connectivity :
- Developers often do testing on simulators where the get the direct internet usage through ethernet connection & that’s why it loads data more faster
- But using the same application on a device with limited speed is a slightly different scenario
- Make sure all of the users wouldn’t have high-speed connections. So if application mostly depends on the server data then try to check how much loading time is & proper caching mechanism used in the application or not
- To test that cache are enables or not you can try loading data again & again by killing the application in the background. You will notice that the time taken for loading the data is less in the second time then it took in the first time. That indicates that application using proper caching protocols.
Offline testing :
- For the web server based application it requires necessary to do offline testing. Install first application & then drop the internet connectivity & see how the application behaves. Does it provides appropriate messages in case of no data availability or generates any crash issues?
- Now do a similar process with a reinstall application load the web-based data for the first time & then turn off the internet connection & see if it loads offline stored data or cached data or it loads nothing.
Read More: Healthy iOS Development Tips & Tricks
Asynchronous data loading :
- In iOS, it offers a feature for loading data asynchronous. That means it will not block the main thread & whatever data is loaded will appear & makes the application run smoothly.
- This requires checking specifically where the data loaded from the web server & also the case where a large number of data loading it should not stuck whole application & wait until all data loads.
Memory level warnings :
- This is the major point & requires to do hard testing of an application more preferably in a debugging mode.
- For that, you will need to directly run an application to the device in a debugging mode
- Once its installed try to do hard testing of an application by doing fast navigations to the pages & if any view contains scrolling with large data records than try to scroll up & down continuously for at least 60 seconds. If the application will have proper memory releasing techniques used then it will not get crashed
- Otherwise, it will start giving memory level 0-1 warnings in just a few seconds of scrolling. That indicates or application CPU usage time & memory usage is very high & application can exit at any stage
Always prefer device testing :
- Its more preferred that you do testing on every available device on which your application is compatible with.
- Well, it’s not possible though to test on all devices but do at least test on the device you have available.
- The reason why is few of the issues which not detects on the simulators but it can products a crash on a device.
- Like if you have an image used in the application wrongly named or capitalized it will work fine on simulators but it will create an issue on a device. There are lots more such points that can only be tested on the device.
Test application on 64-bit devices :
- It’s important to check if your application supports arm 64 supported devices or not. Now as per apple new rules all application is 64 bit compatible only will be allowed to upload to the store otherwise it will give error message while uploading on the store
- But there are few applications still on the store which is never updated after its deployed on the store. So that not contains a 64-bit support
Bugs & glitches free application easily get acceptance on the app store & it also increases the application engagement.
As every user when downloads the application they expect to application works at least without any bugs. So if a user gets it they will also appreciate it & more usage of the application by them will improve the over all ranking of the application.
This can only be achieved by the coordination between developers & testers.